Beginners Guide to Advanced Genie Editor 2.43

RIP_Vanthom

Đã được sửa27 Tháng 11 2012 - 5:48 am bởiRIP_Vanthom
Beginners Guide to Advanced Genie Editor 2.43

Still under work/unfinished

First make sure you have the most up to date Advanced Genie Editor a download can be found [You must login to view link] absolutely free.

Getting Started

Now off to work. Begin by finding a few files in your Age of Empires the Conquerors directory first copy the language.dll files. Next .dat and .drs files found in the data folder as found in the following list and place the files in a folder somewhere you can remember like your desktop and call it "Modding"
    language.dll
    language_x1.dll
    language_x1_p1.dll
    empires2.dat
    empires2_x1.dat
    empires2_x1_p1.dat
    gamedata.drs
    gamedata_x1.drs
    gamedata_x1_p1.drs
    graphics.drs
    interfac.drs

Yes not all these files will be used right away but its a good way to understand what files you will be using.

Continue on by opening AGE(advanced genie editor) and a box will pop up asking for the file locations. Now use the files you pasted into your "modding" folder. Make sure to use empires2_x1_p1.dat as your .dat file.

It should look something like this unless you used a different place to save your files which is also fine.

The basics

Researches

There are tabs near the top of the program from right to left starting with General. Click onto "Researches"

Definition: What researches does is enable you to take technologies and put them into a research. As an example "Elite Tarkan" uses technology (454) which is called CHUN4 and under the technologies tab we can see that CHUN4 has the effects Upgrade Unit 755(Tarkan) to 757(Elite Tarkan).

We will start from the top from researches now and will use "Elite Tarkan" as our example.

Name-Elite Tarkan - This one is pretty straight forward
Language DLL Name- This one is found in the Language.dll file and it makes names visible in game. If you change the number the name will change. There are also many programs you can use to edit these names.
Language DLL Description This is essentially the same as Name except it edits the description instead.
Required Researches This field is the researches required before the research you are creating can be researched. E.g Imperial age is needed before you can research Elite Tarkan.
Technology This is the technology that you would like to be researched
Research Location This is the location where you wish the technology to be researched from. E.g Tarkan's research location is Castle
Full tech mode Enabling this or disabling this changes the value to either 1 or 0(1 for enabled and vice versa) What this does is either enables the research when full tech mode is clicked in game or disables it in full tech mode.
Civilization This is where you choose which civilizations can recieve the research. In this case only Huns can research Elite Tarkans. If you wished everyone to be able to research your technology select none(-1)
Min Req. Researches. The number you input here decides how many other researches are needed before this research can be researched(tongue twister :P) E.g Tarkan only requires "Imperial age" and "Tarkan made available" so the number input is 2. However if it was 1 then only one of the researches would be necessary before Elite Tarkan could be researched.
Type Determines what type of research is neccessary this really does not need to be changed but kept at 0.
Research Time The number you input here determines in seconds how long the research will take.
Icon This number is the icon graphic for when you click the research. Changing the number will result in a different icon graphic for the research.
Button Button determines the order of icons that you click to research. E.g If Icon A has button 1 it is before Icon B which has button 2. Donnie has a good thread about this here.
Costs Determines how much and of what the research costs in game to purchase it.
Cost type The type of in game goods or abilities that the research costs. This can also include things such as conversions. E.g 3 Conversions upgrades monks.
Cost Amount How much of the resource or ability the research costs.
Cost Used Determines whether the unit costs something or is free.
Language DLL Popup The popup box that describes the research in game.
Language DLL Help Shows the Units name
Pointer 3Can remain on -1 (none) unless you wish to change the game pointer when hovering the research which I am not sure would work.

Technologies

Definition: Technologies are used by researches to enable or upgrade units to changing prices or working speed.

Search Box You can search for technologies with their name or number here.
Add Adds a new technology
Insert You can insert a technology in between other technologies where in the same case using Add would add a new technology on the top of the list or the bottom.
Delete Deletes a technology
Copy Copies a technology
Paste Pastes a technology to the top or bottom of the list.
Paste Insert Pastes a technology between other technologies.
Technology Name You can rename or name a technology here.
Rename Technologies Renames the technologies as they are found in game.
Rename for GeniEd 2 Renames the units as found originally in Advanced Genie Editor 2.
Effects The effects of the technologies can be added, inserted,deleted,copied,pasted, or paste-inserted.
Effect Type Applied to added effects allows you to change units,upgrade change attributes,costs and disable researches.
Effect Attributes Values applied to the Effect type allows you to change how fast or which unit changes etc.
UnitThe unit the effects will be applied to after it is researched.
Class The class of the unit or what type of unit it is.
Effects of all technologies Shows what the technologies do and the effects of them.
Reload Loads the list of Effects of all technologies
Clear Clears the list of Effects of all technologies and the list returns to technologies.

Tech Trees

Tech trees are a little more difficult to understand but once they are understood they really are not that complicated.

Ages This one is simple the four ages are Dark,Feudal,Castle and Imperial they are labled starting at Age 1.
Age Number The number of the age
Age Number 2? Don't know this one for sure I think it just links it with "Age Number"
Connected Buildings Buildings that are connected to the selected age, or buildings that you are able to build in the selected age. E.g You can build barracks in Age I,Castle in Age III.
Connected Units Units connected to the selected age or building or both.
Connected Researches Researches connected to the selected age or building or both.
Buildings This is where you can add new buildings to the tech tree and can show what connects to the building. E.g Archery range unit connected is archer.
Building number The number code of the name of the building.
Age What age this building or unit is available in.
Connections Enter 5 if there are one or more connections enter 6 if no connections
Enabling Research Makes research for buildings available on the tech tree.
Required Research Research('s) that is required for the building to be available.
Mode 1 Select what the object will be classified as, Unit, Building or research
Mode 2 Same as mode 1
Units This is where you can add units to the tech trees. Connecting a unit with a unit shows it on the tech tree. E.g Archer -> Crossbowman.
Researches This is where you can add researching of technologies to the tech trees. Researches can be connected with buildings. E.g You need Castle age to build a castle.

Civilizations

Civilizations are pretty straight forward. This allows you to add new civilizations or remove civilizations from the game. Adding a civilization is quite a large process because you need to create a tech tree for the civ as well as units, special technologies as well as setting up all the other technologies and researches to work with this civ. Not only that but you also will need more graphics which is also a little more complicated but we will get into that in detail later.

The add insert and delete buttons all have the same function that I defined earlier.

Name The name of the civilization
Graphic Set Does not change the graphics but I believe it allows for a certain amount of different graphics but I am not quite sure on this one.
Always one Nothing you need to know here just make sure its always "1"
Technology Tree This is where you select the tech tree you made for your new civilization or to change an already made civilization.
Team Bonus This is the special technology that your civilization has that benefits your team.
Initial Resources You can search for resource values using this.
Resource Value This is where you are allow your civilization to be able to do things or to be unable to do things they are almost all the same except for small changes giving civs a special bonus.
Copy to all civs This copies your selected resource values to all civilizations which can save some time if you are making more than one new civ.

Units

Đường dẫn | Trả lời | Trích dẫn
 aleric

đã Post3 Tháng 1 2013 - 6:52 am
So how exactly do I create a new unit. I want to create a monk with hardly any range and fast reload time. I think I know which attributes I need to edit, but how do I make it work in the game?
 Rambit

đã Post3 Tháng 1 2013 - 8:44 pm
Could you be more specific with your question? "how do I make it work" is kinda vague.
 aleric

đã Post3 Tháng 1 2013 - 8:52 pm
Sry I figured out that I needed to overwrite the empires_x1_p1.dat file, that's what I wanted to know before. Now I'm wondering. How would one go about changing the rate at which monks regain faith, or possibly remove the faith feature altogether?
 Rambit

đã Post4 Tháng 1 2013 - 2:35 am
I don't recall from memory, but look at the existing technology which modifies it (I don't remember the name) and work your way back from there.
 aleric

đã Post4 Tháng 1 2013 - 6:25 pm
Thanks I was looking in the wrong place, I have to make technologies that alter the faith rate or use the existing triggers. How cool it would be to make a wizard who gains faith very slowly (mp) and has different strength magic with different levels of faith?
 aleric

đã Post4 Tháng 1 2013 - 10:34 pm
So I made this exact copy of a petard and I thought it was working correctly before I started changing their blast strength and then they stopped dying when attacking walls all of a sudden. They had their attack graphic altered to militia attacking so I thought maybe that was part of the problem (though it was working before where they would walk, attack and die like militia and do damage to the wall, although it was set to be very little damage). Now I've completely reinstalled my game and copied petards from scratch. The original petards die when attacking, every time, because they do themselves damage presumably. But the copies do not die. they just explode but then come back. The blast level is still set to 2, which indicates they should to damage to surrounding units. so it is very odd.
 aleric

đã Post6 Tháng 1 2013 - 12:53 am
So in other terms, there seems to be an error with this program when copying a unit, with the blast level attribute, when it's supposed to be blast level 2 (does damage to all surrounding units) it only does damage to enemy units. i don't think it's just doing damage to the targeted unit (blast level 4) because I'm able to take out two units with one petard, but that petard does not die, because the blast did not affect him. very weird. I can however modify original petard (without copying, which is what I accidentally did the first time) and it's blast level attribute will work correctly.
 aleric

đã Post6 Tháng 1 2013 - 1:01 am
The part that really gets me, is that I restored my original petard (so I can play games with other people still while modding) from the copy (where the blast level wasn't working correctly) and the restored petard works perfectly in terms of the blast level. So there must be something in the game that prevents you from copying petard. Anyway what I really wanted to do was have a priest class unit (for converting) that has some trample damage to buildings at least that I can mod into a zombie when I get the graphics skills. It seems it's impossible to have a priest class unit attack, and to have other classes convert so It might just be undoable. Maybe I'll just do a trigger that turns them into petard mods when in proximity to a wall, but a data mod would be so much more elegant.
 Rambit

đã Post6 Tháng 1 2013 - 8:39 pm
Petards, Saboteurs, Demolition Ships and Heavy Demolition Ships

Those are the only units that you will be able to make die on attacking, it is hard coded into the game and you can't copy/paste that. Blast radius will only affect your own units if the unit has range. All melee units with blast radius your units will be immune, a good example of this would be the cataphract trample damage.
 zaklady

Đã được sửa22 Tháng 11 2014 - 9:25 pm bởizaklady
I'm trying to make the program work at all so I switched Feudal Age icon for Imperial Age icon - I typed 32 instead of 30 in the Feudal Age research tab/icon. I overwrote the .dat file and ran the game to check if it worked. It didn't, I still see the Feudal Age icon. I rerun the program and there is 32, so it's been saved succefully. Why doesn't it work then? Do I need to overwrite something else or reprogram the executive perhaps?
 [MM]Gallas

Đã được sửa22 Tháng 11 2014 - 11:44 pm bởi[MM]Gallas
zaklady wrote:
I'm trying to make the program work at all so I switched Feudal Age icon for Imperial Age icon - I typed 32 instead of 30 in the Feudal Age research tab/icon. I overwrote the .dat file and ran the game to check if it worked. It didn't, I still see the Feudal Age icon. I rerun the program and there is 32, so it's been saved succefully. Why doesn't it work then? Do I need to overwrite something else or reprogram the executive perhaps?

Try switch the icons in the 50729.slp file (interface.drs) with the [You must login to view link].
 zaklady

đã Post23 Tháng 11 2014 - 12:38 pm
[MM]Gallas wrote:
Try switch the icons in the 50729.slp file (interface.drs) with the [You must login to view link].

Okay I think I've got it now. I've been running the wrong executable. Apparently I need to run the one in folder age2.x1 instead of the one in the game's main directory.
By the way, I actually solved the problem by checking a tutorial for the Turtle Pack you recommended so thanks a lot ^_^
 [KHell]UnluckyLoki

đã Post26 Tháng 1 2015 - 9:36 pm
really need this finished cause im working on a rather ambitious project and it would be killer if it would work
 [LyF]Xiskogen

đã Post5 Tháng 12 2015 - 10:58 am
I cant find any of those files. let alone, i cant even load anything into the program

[1]2
Hiển thị 1 - 15 ngoài 17 Bài viết
Nhảy Forum
2 User(s) làđọc chủ đề này 30 phút vừa qua
0Thành viên2 Khách

What's popular right now: